Friday 29 September 2023

Clearing the Shelves

One way to solve the problem of too many RPG books


In a flash my old RPG projects are dead and new one has arisen Jesus-like from the ashes. 

Indeed I have resolved to play all my unplayed games. At least the ones I have paid actual money for. I seem to have a surprisingly large collection of RPG related books and PDFs I have picked up for nothing but I’m not counting them for now. Just the ones I’ve bought. 


At present that is a count of 19 different RPGS. Some of which I am more excited about running than others, it has to be said but the proof will be in the playing. 


The List 


  • Runequest 2e
  • D6 Star Wars
  • Marvel Superheroes (FASERIP)
  • Through Sunken Lands
  • Call of Cthulhu, world war cthulhu/ dark ages/legend 
  • Runequest Glorantha
  • The One Ring 1e
  • Crypts and Things Remastered 
  • GOZR 
  • Blood of Pangea pdf
  • WFRP 2e
  • Black Hack 2e
  • Troika
  • Empire of the Petal Throne
  • Warlock!
  • Electric Bastionland
  • Macchiato Monsters
  • White Star
  • Advanced Fighting Fantasy


In order to make this achievable I plan to run one adventure in each system until they’re all done. This flies in the face of my usual methodology of running longer form games. Also some of these are big asks. I have no idea how to actually play The One Ring or Runequest for instance and they’re complicated. Or at least they look complicated. Some are much easier, Blood of Pangea is rules light and the OSR style games are right in my usual wheel house. Through Sunken Lands doesn’t even really need prep being a sword & sorcery version of Beyond the Wall. 


In order to determine what to do first I rolled a d19 and the result was Warlock! A modern take on old school British gaming Warlock! is like a mix of WFRP and Fighting Fantasy and it seems like it’s going to be a lot of fun. 

2 comments:

  1. Although Troika is rules light, there's a free character sheet for it on Roll20 that automates it really well --- so well that if I were running Troika live at a table but weren't that familiar with the mechanics, I'd use the sheet anyway. Recommended!

    ReplyDelete